Could changing the MAC address on these units be enough to fix this
problem?

Work around it, not fix it. MAC addresses are supposed to be unique. If you change it, you risk to break not only yours, but somebody else's as well. Whoever happened to have the same MAC address would be in conflict with yours.

But didn't you say the issue was resolved?

the range of devices sold to Turnkey.  That actually seemed to work,
except for not being able to connect to my LMS.  I didn't think about
the firmware issue until this morning so I wonder if updating the
firmware at that point might have fixed everything.

Yes, those players use a custom firmware. You need to connect it to mysb.com to get a regular firmware before you can use it with LMS.

--

Michael