Sure, I got it resolved, but what about others in the future?  Unless
there's folks from Logitech monitoring the situation here they might not
be able to get help.  I had to go through someone I know at Logitech to
get this fixed in a roundabout manner.

Once I'm gone, things will fall apart anyway :-).

The MAC address spoofing is risky of course, but there might be
something to it.  What would have happened had I altered my MAC, then
updated the firmware, then reverted the MAC to its original setting?

The problem was that on the backend the player was still linked to a turnkey account. Therefore you wouldn't have had full access to it. And upon connecting to mysb.com you might have risked to get the custom firmware again.

Next time this happens to you (or any other user reading this) don't tell support anything about turnkey etc. Just tell them that you bought a used SB which you needed to unlink from the previous owner's account and assign it to you. If this doesn't work, then shoot me a mail. Either you get an error mail back, telling you I'm gone, or I'll deal with it.

Also, if someone is strictly using LMS for their Squeezebox, like I am,
does it even matter what the MAC is?

Some of the LMS functionality is still relying on mysb.com (all the music services).

--

Michael