Hello Django Developers,

On August 20th ie tomorrow, Google Summer of Code 2007 will officially
close and all students are required to commit the code written over
the past two odd months. As I was preparing to commit my code I was
stumped to see that my project's code broke post revision 5923.

The reason was that the manage.py file has now been diversified (check
changeset 5923 and 5925). This happened too close to the project's
final deadline and this gave me a few anxious moments. I thought I had
to literally start from scratch because I was patching the
management.py. On closely studying the new pattern of the management I
realized that all the functions had been neatly divided. This is a
welcome sign but there was hardly any prior communication of such a
shakeup...a small warning atleast on the devel list would have helped.
By the way, I have to congratulate the developers for finally
diversifying code and making the code more organized.

Now regarding my project's goals. I have completed all except two
goals one being implementing the "upper" and "lower" methods on check
fields and the second, integrating django-check-constraints with the
Django Admin. The reason for not implementing the "upper" and "lower"
methods currently is that they are not fully "unicode"-compatible in
Sqlite (because they use C's tolower and toupper routine). The current
way of integrating django-check-constraints with admin would be by
using manipulators (which is not recommended because newforms is going
to be the de-facto standard from the next release). So I will
integrate with the admin as soon as newforms-admin is merged into the
trunk. (When I talk of integrating with django-admin....I mean
displaying neat errors.)

I have tested the project extensively writing around 50 doc tests and
testing with various cases and databases. The databases used for my
test were:
Postgresql 8.2.4
Sqlite 3.3.13
Oracle 10g
Haven't checked for other versions but should work for all versions
that support and enforce check constraints.

I had written two blog entries showing how to use django-check-
constraints.
http://thejuhyd.blogspot.com/2007/07/django-newforms-and-django-check.html
http://thejuhyd.blogspot.com/2007/08/django-newforms-and-django-check.html
Hope they give an indicator.

I would also like to thank all Django developers especially Jacob,
Adrian and Malcolm for all the support. A special "thanks" to my
mentor Simon Blanchard for guiding me through this project even
through his busy schedule and for keeping up with all tantrums that I
threw at him ;-) I would also like to thank Kenneth Gonsalves for
having given me this idea at the start of Summer of Code.

Hope you use and love Django-Check-Constraints
http://code.google.com/p/django-check-constraints

PS: Don't mistake this for my last mail....I hope to contribute lot
more to Django...and would like to sign off by screaming "DJANGO
ROCKS!!!" (so does POSTGRESQL) ;-)

Cheers
Thejaswi Puthraya