On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 15:25 +0000, Thejaswi Puthraya wrote:
> Hello Django Developers,
>
> On August 20th ie tomorrow, Google Summer of Code 2007 will officially
> close and all students are required to commit the code written over
> the past two odd months. As I was preparing to commit my code I was
> stumped to see that my project's code broke post revision 5923.
>
> The reason was that the manage.py file has now been diversified (check
> changeset 5923 and 5925). This happened too close to the project's
> final deadline and this gave me a few anxious moments. I thought I had
> to literally start from scratch because I was patching the
> management.py. On closely studying the new pattern of the management I
> realized that all the functions had been neatly divided. This is a
> welcome sign but there was hardly any prior communication of such a
> shakeup...a small warning atleast on the devel list would have helped.

To be fair (to us), this thread
http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_frm/thread/4f94a805f73072da
 was all about exactly that. It mentioned management.py in the title, so that
counts as a clear warning in Open Source mailing list terms (sometimes threads
veer wildly off course from their titles).

> By the way, I have to congratulate the developers for finally
> diversifying code and making the code more organized.
>
> Now regarding my project's goals. I have completed all except two
> goals one being implementing the "upper" and "lower" methods on check
> fields and the second, integrating django-check-constraints with the
> Django Admin. The reason for not implementing the "upper" and "lower"
> methods currently is that they are not fully "unicode"-compatible in
> Sqlite (because they use C's tolower and toupper routine). The current
> way of integrating django-check-constraints with admin would be by
> using manipulators (which is not recommended because newforms is going
> to be the de-facto standard from the next release). So I will
> integrate with the admin as soon as newforms-admin is merged into the
> trunk. (When I talk of integrating with django-admin....I mean
> displaying neat errors.)

Well done. Getting that close to your original goals is excellent work.

Regards,
Malcolm

http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/