On 9/20/07, Tristan King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> just a quick update on the little bit of work i've been doing on this.
>
> i've been merging leo's code with my own, and updating my own to the
> latest django svn code.
>
> I've been working on getting the django tutorial to work, and got up to:
> ---------------
> # objects.all() displays all the polls in the database.
> [<Poll: Poll object>]
> --------------
> before writing this (i'm about to pack it in for the day), which threw me a
> nasty error:
>   File "/usr/local/share/jython/Lib/django/db/models/base.py", line 101, in
> __str__
>   File "/usr/local/share/jython/Lib/django/utils/encoding.py", line 37, in
> force_unicode
>   File "/usr/local/share/jython/Lib/django/db/models/base.py", line 101, in
> __str__
>   File "/usr/local/share/jython/Lib/django/utils/encoding.py", line 37, in
> force_unicode
> java.lang.StackOverflowError: java.lang.StackOverflowError
>
> i'll look into it tomorrow (unless someone on the other side of the world
> figures it out for me :)

Oh, yeah. That's Jython's unicode(foo) calling foo.__str__ even when
hasattr(foo, '__unicode__') under some circumstances.

It seems that Jython expects that hasattr(type(foo), '__unicode__')
too. CPython has the same requirement with __str__ , but for some
reason, it doesn't with __unicode__.

The very same problem affects lazy strings.

> i've started using the jython trunk (2.3a0) so a few things have been
> easier.

So, the autoreloading bits work unchanged with Jython trunk? Excelent!

> i fought a bit with the re.compile(u"([\u0080-\uffff])") bug, and ended
> up just working around it with the following jython patch (i'm not sure
> how else to go about it seeing that java doesn't differentiate between
> signed and unsigned variables)

Yep, I faced that too. But I don't know what side effects could it have.

[...]
> i also applied the jython patch to fix the __module__ problems.
>
> and that's about all for major stuff i think.

Cool. Keep up the good work! And file some tickets here when you think
is appropriate.

--
Leo Soto M.