On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I'd argue that Python 3.0 is not that much of a moving target either. Of
>  course, such a porting project would require following development of 2to3.

Then you need to read the Py3k PEPs more closely. PEP 3000 says:

    I expect that Python 3.1 and 3.2 will be released much sooner
after 3.0 than has been
    customary for the 2.x series. The 3.x release pattern will
stabilize once the community is
    happy with 3.x.

This implies that a number of quick changes will happen between 3.0
and 3.1. This matches something Guido has said in public and on
mailing lists; he's indicated that 3.0 is really the "early adopters"
release, and that he expects most people to switch around the 3.1
release.

Also notice that the 3.0 alphas have been anything but stable; there
have been serious feature changes (including changes to the new io
library, changes to the byte/string API, etc.) between releases. On
top of that, the C API is still not yet finalized, and there's no way
anyone can start writing stable 3.0 C-extensions without a final API.

Jacob

NB: As I read the above it looks like I'm ragging on 3.0. That could
hardly be farther from the truth; I'm incredibly excited about the
awesome shit in 3.0 and I can't WAIT to get my hands on it. However,
you need to keep in mind that Guido himself sees a *five year*
transition period from 2 - 3. The only thing we'll get by being antsy
now is a bunch of work in the future. Once 3.0 stabilizes, and once we
start dropping support for older Pythons from Django, this work will
go much much easier. We just need a bit of patience.