> The problem with this is it requires state on the server, which means . . .

I don't think it's necessary to implement this in such a way that additional
server state is stored.  Instead, you could let the confirmation token be a
hash of the internal user state -- including, most importantly, the user
password's salt and encrypted values.  That way, the valid confirmation
token is 1) known only to the server (the User 'password' field is not
externalized), 2) able to be computed at any time without being stashed
anywhere, 3) constant until the user changes their password, and 4)
guaranteed to change whenever the password is actually changed.

  -- Scott

--
http://scott.andstuff.org/ | http://truthadorned.org/