On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Arien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Waylan Limberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 5:59 PM, David Durham, Jr.
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Nice thing about GETs is that users aren't confronted with the dreaded
>>> "Data was submitted with POST" confirmation, which is confusing to
>>> most people and usually not tested.  Basically you end up breaking the
>>> back button and the reload button.
>>
>> Um, this is intentional and a good thing. If you read the spec, not
>> only is the difference between GET and POST defined, but the way user
>> agents (browsers) should treat them is defined as well. Breaking the
>> back & reload buttons is a requirement of the spec to, among other
>> reasons, avoid multiple posts by impatient (or double-clicking) users.
>> Granted, browsers could provide more helpful messages, but we want
>> that behavior for POSTing data.
>
> What specification requires this?

A number of them actually. To name a few:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#h-17.13
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/whenToUseGet.html

A decent summary of the issues are found here:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/methods.html

--
----
Waylan Limberg