I'm not really sure, nor am I the one to make such a decision, but I
wonder if perhaps something like this hasn't been included because of
issues with Google's licensing. Of course, not everyone is using
GeoDjango in a commercial setting, so your code's still useful.
Perhaps you could post it on djangosnippets.org. However, if I'm wrong
about the licensing issues, a ticket with  a patch would be the way to
address inclusion.

--
----
Waylan Limberg