Nathaniel Whiteinge wrote:
> Yes. It's built into Django and already does exactly what some people
> want render_to_response to do, so why all the hullabaloo? (Or am I
> still missing something?)

The problem here is for novice users. We have two things doing roughly
the same thing which is confusing. What's even more confusing is that
the thing that doesn't work like most people expect
('render_to_response') is better named and better documented for the
purpose than the other thing ('direct_to_template'). Just adding a
'request' into render_to_response won't solve the problem of having two
things completely but will make 'direct_to_template' not visible, nobody
will look for it in the first place.