On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Yuri Baburov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Jeremy Dunck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:19 AM, zvoase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> # Using RequestContext
>>> def myview(request, *args):
>>>    # some code here...
>>>    request.render('template_name.html', {...})
>>>
>>> That just seems logical to me. Rather than (potentially) break
>>> backwards compatibility, let things be as they are right now and just
>>> add a method to the request.
>>
>> Except that it couples request and response objects to templates.
>
> But render_to_response also does that?
> You want request and response to be loosely coupled? Does it make
> sense? Aren't they coupled in render_to_response and response
> processing code anyway?
>
> Please explain your point a bit more.

render_to_response is a "shortcut" that makes a few assumptions to
cover a common use case and helps keep your views DRY. If you changed
your template system or various other pluggable components, you would
either need to write your own version of render_to_repsonse or repeat
yourself often in your views. However, by making render a method of
the request, we are now taking those assumptions another level and
forcing them on the request object itself. That's bad.

You see, anyone can use Django any way they want and don't have to use
any of the "shortcut" helper functions. However, everyone has to use
the request and response objects, so the code needs to make as few
restrictive assumptions as possible in those objects. And yes, making
it easy for someone to use a different template system is a feature
that we want to keep.

--
----
Waylan Limberg