I should have explained more clearly, get_absolute_url() would still
be available in 1.1 (this is required for backwards compatibility
anyway).
get_url() and get_url_path() would simply be the preffered way to do
it, I would expect that get_absolute_url() would remain in django
(albeit deprecated) until 2.0.

As for the "Let's have it painted red" reaction… When I first started
using django this confused the heck out of me, when it returned a
relative url I presumed that I was doing something wrong. I don't
think this is one of those pedantic issues, this is a legitimate issue
that causes practical problems.

Cheers,
Dave