On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 14:20 -0800, Dave Jeffery wrote:
> I should have explained more clearly, get_absolute_url() would still
> be available in 1.1 (this is required for backwards compatibility
> anyway).
> get_url() and get_url_path() would simply be the preffered way to do
> it, I would expect that get_absolute_url() would remain in django
> (albeit deprecated) until 2.0.

There's no reason to mark it deprecated. It still works fine for what it
does. It just doesn't do what the name suggests, but, historically, that
hasn't been a real show-stopper for understanding purposes.

> As for the "Let's have it painted red" reaction… When I first started
> using django this confused the heck out of me, when it returned a
> relative url I presumed that I was doing something wrong. I don't
> think this is one of those pedantic issues, this is a legitimate issue
> that causes practical problems.

Given that the major feature freeze for Django 1.1 (implementation-wise;
proposal stuff was a couple of months back) is in less than a week, I
think this is a Django 1.2 project you might want to take on. The people
who are really invested in this need to coordinate with the timetable a
bit better than has happened so far. Get your ducks in a row and have
code ready for the start of the 1.2 development period and we'll have 6
or 9 or 12 months of time to work out all the kinks.

Regards,
Malcolm