On Sep 28, 5:20 pm, Max Battcher <m...@worldmaker.net> wrote:
> I really don't see what the fuss here is about. If we are worried about
> forwards-compatibility, HTML 5 takes care of it. If we are worried about
> better backwards-compatibility with HTML 4, everyone else is saying that
> the future is now and the focus should be HTML 5...
>
> What is this argument really about?

http://www.djangoproject.com/ calls Django the web framework for
"perfectionists with deadlines". This is a perfectionist issue.

If the problem was incredibly hard to solve or involved breaking
backwards compatibility I'd drop this, but I don't think it's a
particularly big or difficult change. The django-html approach even
gives us a useful extra feature - it allows template developers to add
new attributes to form widgets without needing changes made to the
underlying Python form definitions:

{% field form.name class="foo" onfocus="bar()" %}

It's not just me that gets annoyed by this - when I'm teaching Django
to client-side engineers this tends to come up a lot - and I find the
answer a bit embarrassing. It's basically the only place in Django
that the template author can't control the markup, and good client-
side engineers are pretty picky.

Cheers,

Simon