For anyone interested in following this, I've just started a
(currently experimental) branch on GitHub:

http://github.com/simonw/django/tree/logging

So far I've added a 'django' logger which is silent by default, and
hooked up a new CursorLoggingWrapper to log all SQL statements from
the ORM to it. I've also modified the runserver command so you can use
the following to watch the execute SQL flow past on the console:

./manage.py runserver --loglevel=django.db.sql:info

None of the implementation code is intended to be production quality
yet (I'm just experimenting for the moment), but I'm very interested
in feedback on the approach.

Cheers,

Simon