Had some good feedback on news.ycombinator and programming.reddit -
you can follow the threads here:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1030290
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/ald1m/calling_crypto_security_experts_help_review_the/

tptacek on news.ycombinator pointed out a timing attack based on our
use of an insecure string comparison (an attack which affected Rails a
while ago). We can fix that using a constant time string comparison
such as this one:

http://code.google.com/p/keyczar/source/diff?spec=svn414&old=411&r=414&format=unidiff&path=/trunk/python/src/keyczar/keys.py

ascii on programming.reddit has convinced me to ditch the sep=":"
argument and hard code the separator. Customising that doesn't feel
like a feature anyone will ever need. They also repeated the advice to
use SHA-256 - I think I'll almost certainly have to give up my quest
for shorter signatures :(