Simon, the amount of pushback this is getting, and the changes which
need to be made to start bringing it up to snuff, make me feel far too
nervous about this being ready in time to make 1.2 at all. I know
you've put in the effort to shepherd this along, but I'm starting to
think it's time to push this to the 1.3 release cycle (especially
since 1.2 alpha freeze is tomorrow, and I don't think there's any way
it'll be even alpha-ready by then).