As one of many talented and respected designers in the Django
community, and also as a good friend of Wilson Miner, I'd like to say
for the record that the attitude I've seen from the core devs about an
admin redesign/overhaul is incredibly frustrating. Whenever someone
proposes redesigning the admin interface, it's always met with a "well
you could, and of course we would consider it, but really we wouldn't"
kind of response, citing one of two reasons -- both of which are,
frankly, BS:

1. "Wilson Miner is the designer of the Django admin interface, and
he'll redesign it when he deems it necessary." -- First, the idea that
Wilson somehow "owns" the Django admin's design is offensive. It's an
open source project and anyone should be able to contribute and have
their efforts taken seriously. Second, Wilson isn't going to redesign
it. I've talked to him about it several times and while I know he'd
like to, I really don't think he's going to find the time -- if he
was, he would have by know. Because he thinks it needs it. Which leads
me to the second reason...

2. "The Django admin interface was designed by Wilson F'ing Miner of
Apple.com fame, and therefore is immune from ever have any design
problems." -- Look, Wilson is a great designer. Really great. One of
the very best I've ever worked with. But he's not perfect. The Django
admin does, indeed, have a handful of serious interaction design
issues. What's more, in the five years that have passed since Wilson
designed it, IxD has come a long way, and there are many useful new
concepts that could apply to the Django admin interface. When Wilson
designed the admin interface, it was a great piece of interaction
design. But it's been five years, and I don't know about you, but
*nothing* I did five years ago is still awesome. And like I said, I've
discussed it with Wilson on several occasions, and I can confirm that
he definitely agrees there are issues and that it could use and
overhaul and an update. If the core devs refuse to listen to anyone
else who says it has issues, then please, at least listen to Wilson.

I've talked with several designers in the Django community at various
times (among them Nathan Borror and Bryan Veloso), and I think I can
speak for all of us when I say that there's a general feeling that
it's not worth our time to put any effort into a Django admin design
overhaul, because it won't be taken seriously if it doesn't come from
Wilson.

And that sucks.

Jeff