My ticket in #6510 [1] deals with this, along with a nice abstraction
of common recursive nodelist gathering patterns.

Although the ticket description, comments (and even tests in my patch)
mention {% block %}, this has *nothing* to do with conditional
inheritance.

If the patch is deemed too much of a feature to fit in the 1.2
schedule, I'd still advocate for just adding a get_nodes_by_type
method to the IfEqualNode. It's not a difficult or overly
controversial change, and the bug has existed far too long because of
confusion over the actual issue.

[1] http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/6510