> This is the sort of bug that makes me want to give up my material
> possessions and go live in a cave somewhere. Ugh.

You can imagine the fun we had tracking it down throughout the stack
trying to isolate the error case. It made me want to throw my hands up
and declare that programming is just too hard for humans and we should

> It's not pretty, but I really don't see much of an alternative,
> either. My only question is whether overriding __str__ is the right
> place; given that as_string() is the affected interface, it seem like
> that should be the method that is fixed. However, that's just based on
> an initial inspection; I'm willing to be convinced that I'm wrong on
> that one.

My initial gut reaction was to edit __str__ precisely for that reason
since clients would have an expectation for a custom string
representation method, but I don't have strong feelings about it at
all. Let me dig into it a little bit and see if I can figure out
what's using it and which one might be best  to override. If I can get
a good patch together quickly, any chance it might go into 1.2?

--
--Leo