On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Rob Hudson <r...@cogit8.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Leo <leo.shklovs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Digging deep into Python's innards reveals that this is a somewhat
> > esoteric protection in case you're writing out Unix mailbox files. The
> > specific issue is here:
> http://docs.python.org/release/2.6.2/library/email.generator.html#email.generator.Generator
> > and involves the mangle_from_ flag.
> >
> > The hugely more likely case is that if you're using Django's
> > EmailMessage class you're sending emails rather than writing Unix
> > mailbox files and are running into this bug that way.
>
> Wouldn't these e-mails end up on other servers that might save the
> message in a Unix mailbox format?  And if so, wouldn't removing the
> ">" from the "From" cause problems?

No, the issue is only for message storage, not transmission -- there's
nothing in SMTP that says you need to escape From_ lines. If those servers
need to store the message in a Unix mbox, they will escape it on their own.
(In fact, if the message contains a line starting with >From, I'm pretty
sure they will need to further escape it, storing it as >>From)

Ian