On Friday 30 April 2010 19:22:33 Idan Gazit wrote:
> FWIW, I spoke with Alex the other week about turning piano-man into
> a more finished product.
>
> So long as core guarantees that they'll at least take a look at
> whatever is made, I'm +1 on rolling our own, and am willing to
> champion this project.

Personally it would take quite a lot to persuade me to look at it
(sorry for not responding before, but I was prompted by this message).
I feel similar to Russell about fragmenting the bug tracking
community, but even more so - especially given that Trac is written in
Python, and already has a very active community of supporters.  There
are Trac plugins for almost everything you can think of.

I would also be extremely loathe to switch if there is *any* loss of
information in the database conversion.  So that includes requiring
identical bug numbers (so that SVN commit messages don't become
outdated) and supporting 100% of the wiki formatting in existing pages
and all bug reports (or being able to convert it losslessly), and
preserving the history of all changes (including flags) to bugs.  It
is important to be able to look back at a bug report and see what was
changed by whom etc.

Once you add these requirements, I suspect that you will be doing much
more of a 'Trac clone' than you want to be.  And we would still need
to have compelling reasons to switch - bare feature parity wouldn't be
anything like enough, especially given the team and community that are
behind Trac.

I imagine that adding several plugins to Trac would be a much better
route - in particular a code review plugin, of which there are several
on trac-hacks I think, and some plugins to do the auto-mail functions
that Jeremy suggested.  If we fail to review the existing plugins to
Trac and see how easy it would be to add our own, it would be nothing
but a massive case of NIH.  I have written some small plugins for Trac
in the past and found it fairly painless.  While Trac may have it's
problems, we would have to be crazy - not to mention extremely
arrogant - to think that we could do better without a huge amount of
work.

And before anyone starts work on any of these, whichever approach,
please do get some consensus about what features are actually
desirable!

Luke

--
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." (Jane

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/