On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Tobias McNulty <tob...@caktusgroup.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 3:32 PM, shacker <shac...@birdhouse.org> wrote:
>>
>> I've been thinking that it seems like solid file management would be a
>> good candidate for inclusion in contrib, but wanted to put feeler out
>> on this list to see whether others might agree. Would this make a good
>> 1.3 feature?
>
> -1
> For whatever it's worth, my sense is that there are a number of these types
> of third party apps out there, and no single one is a clear winner.
>  Furthermore, I don't really see what adding file management to contrib
> gives us (it seems to work just fine as a third party app), and I'd hate to
> see innovation stifled at this stage by including one of the implementations
> in contrib.

I completely agree with Tobias.

The general description for a contrib app is a "defacto standard
implementation of a common pattern". While Grapelli's filebrowser may
be very useful functionality, I don't see it meeting these criteria.

That said - I *would* be interested in any proposal to improve the
interface that contrib.admin provides so would make it easier to plug
in external features such as a file browser. If django-filebrowser has
become dependent on Grapelli, I presume this was to leverage some
benefit of Grapelli that Django's native admin wasn't providing. To
me, this points at a deficiency in Django's admin that should be
addressed.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)