On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Russell Keith-Magee
<russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:

> Like it or not, RHEL is still a major player in the enterprise market
> at the moment. I can't speak for the US, but in Australia at least --
> when all those companies got on the Linux bandwagon in the mid 2000's,
> they all adopted RHEL, and being large enterprises, they aren't moving
> away from that platform in a hurry. I don't particularly want to rush
> this segment of Django's market share into the arms of another
> framework.
>
> I'd rather defer dropping support for Python 2.4 until Django 1.4;
> that way, we can use the 1.3 release notes to draw attention to the
> impending deprecation.
>
> On top of that, RHEL5 moves into support mode (production 2) at the
> end of Q1 2011, and into long-term support mode (production 3) in Q1
> 2012. A Django 1.4 release would roughly coincide with the start of
> support mode. Also, by that time, RHEL6 will hopefully be out,
> hopefully providing a more recent Python release as a baseline, which
> will provide a way forward for those with support contracts.
>
> Past that point, I think we will probably be able to get more
> aggressive about dropping Python versions, but let's cross that bridge
> when we get to it.

As one of those RHEL users in larger environments, I really appreciate
this policy and the fact that you have so far followed it and are
planning to continue doing so. Makes my life a lot easier.

FWIW, RHEL 6 will use python 2.6.
--
Dennis K.

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.