On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:29 PM, David Malcolm <dmalc...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 14:48 +0200, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Russell Keith-Magee
>> <russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Like it or not, RHEL is still a major player in the enterprise market
>> > at the moment. I can't speak for the US, but in Australia at least --
>> > when all those companies got on the Linux bandwagon in the mid 2000's,
>> > they all adopted RHEL, and being large enterprises, they aren't moving
>> > away from that platform in a hurry. I don't particularly want to rush
>> > this segment of Django's market share into the arms of another
>> > framework.
>> >
>> > I'd rather defer dropping support for Python 2.4 until Django 1.4;
>> > that way, we can use the 1.3 release notes to draw attention to the
>> > impending deprecation.
>> >
>> > On top of that, RHEL5 moves into support mode (production 2) at the
>> > end of Q1 2011, and into long-term support mode (production 3) in Q1
>> > 2012. A Django 1.4 release would roughly coincide with the start of
>> > support mode. Also, by that time, RHEL6 will hopefully be out,
>> > hopefully providing a more recent Python release as a baseline, which
>> > will provide a way forward for those with support contracts.
>
> FWIW I've built an unofficial python 2.6 for RHEL5 as part of "EPEL" [1]
> to try to ease the transition.
>
> If you're using EPEL5, then:
>  yum install python26
> should get you the interpreter, "python26-devel" for building
> extensions, etc.  This is parallel-installable with the main python 2.4
> runtime.
>
> A (very small) stack of prebuilt rpms against python26 is also available
> [2]. Let me know if there are other dependencies you need.
>
> This is a personal side-project of mine, and is not officially supported
> by Red Hat.

While this is great work, and may be extremely useful to some, it
doesn't fix the problem for the group of people that are most affected
-- the people that need to (for business reasons) maintain their
official RedHat support contracts. For that group, we have to support
the official Python version in RHEL5.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)