On 03/10/10 03:20, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
  * Ignore the legitimate occasions where using state is a useful
architectural approach.

I'd just like to add more noise to the signal and reiterate this - storing state on self (or request) leads to much cleaner, less fragile, more subclassable views (in my own experience, having written both a set of generic views with and without state like this).

I personally think self is the place to store this state (since, as Russ keeps saying, that's how nearly all Python classes do it), but storing it on request isn't too bad - it just "feels" more wrong to me, but then, middleware does it already.

However, subjectivity isn't going to win through here. Either solution is fine, just don't force me to pass everything around as arguments between functions. That's not looking likely, but some people here seen to want to have that kind of purity at the expense of usability - dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a mathematician.

Andrew