For reference, this discussion is linked to
http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_thread/thread/f0b8ddbda03a2d8e
and to the ticket http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/15923

Cal,

The only thing that i could imagine regarding "fixing" this issue
would indeed be a documentation addition in the MySQL (or MySQLdb)
part of the http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/databases/ page,
explaining the possible issue with integers that are too large to fit
in the appropriate mysql column (though i'm not sure how all this
works, as i'm far from a MySQL or ORM expert).
Specifically, explaining how to set the sql_mode to "traditional" as
explained by kmtracey (http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/
15923#comment:10) I believe.

Let's see if there's anyone reading this mailing list showing interest
about this, and/or feel free to create a feature request on trac, and
see if it's accepted.

On a side note, as python doesn't seem to have any issue with large
integers, i guess you could subclass the IntegerField, and add to it's
validation a check to see if the resulting integer can be stored in a
32 bits using either a simple comparison, like the following:
    -int('1' * 31, 2) < int(field_value) < int('1' * 31, 2)

Mathieu