Yeah, subclassing sounds the way forward. I was thinking something like:

SignedIntegerField = IntegerField(min_value=–2147483648, max_value=
2147483647)
UnsignedIntegerField = IntegerField(min_value=0, max_value=4294967295)

Do you think there would be much chance in having these two field types
included in the core? If so, should I create a patch for fields.py and
submit??

As for the MySQL strict mode, I'll submit a documentation patch, and see if
it gets accepted :)