Pretty new to django. While {% comment %}  {% endcomment %}  isn't
that cumbersome, its cumbersome enough compared to <!-- --> that I
find myself using html comments more often than I should (given that
these comments will end up in my output), largely because i'm too lazy
to type out the full django comment tags.  I'm sure I'm not the only
one.

I'm not familiar with the internals of the parser, but maybe something
like {%-- Insert your comment here --%}, akin to jsp's <%-- --%>
comments, or something similarly concise.

Regards,

Ben