On Sep 16, 2011, at 6:19 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

Documentation is being worked on, and is orthogonal to the current discussion of how
to handle things like requiring logins with the new CBVs.

I just watched "Class Decorators: Radically Simple" by Jack Diederich, who wrote the class decorators PEP, and I think it's very useful to watch (25 min.) for this discussion. According to him it is good practice to return the class that is decorated, which I think we should follow, and which solves the biggest practical problems with decorating. Moreover, the fact that class decorators exist indicate that they are pythonic. So +1 for the decorators.

Considering the mixins: IMHO, the order of base classes shouldn't matter. Can this be satisfied by the mixin-approach?

@Carl Meyer: I would opt for applying decorators *in* the class, so you can still derive from it. Like::

    class MyView(View):
        @classonlymethod
        def as_view(cls, *args, **kwargs):
return login_required(super(MyView, cls).as_view(*args, **kwargs))

Cheers, Roald