Re Russell: Pertaining to autocommit, I wrapped the view (my base
view's dispatch method) in commit_on_success. I asked here (as opposed
to opening a ticket) because I wasn't certain there was a way to fix
this, but it just seemed too wrong to not at least bring to the table.
After Karen's reply I'm quite certain that, without the worst kind of
hacking imaginable, this is not fixable.

Re Karen: Thanks for clearing that up for me.