A heavy bitbucket user here.

I personally prefer hg to git and bitbucket to github but I think github +
git would be better for django because of much larger community.

Guys, but please stop bashing bitbucket. Bitbucket supports both hg and git
(github don't), has nice bugtracker; bitbucket has hundreds of django
packages on it (please don't call them unsignificant); it is in active
development since Atlassian came, etc. Default repository landing page can
be easily set to source browser in repository options. Hope this discussion
won't become "github vs bitbucket" or "hg vs git" holywar.