On 20/03/12 20:33, Sachin Gupta wrote:
It seems most of the errors on this page
https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/BetterErrorMessages are very old. It
states that if the attribute enctype="multitype/form-data" is not sent
then the following error comes up

TypeError at ...
string indices must be integers

However if this is the case then I am getting a form error, saying that
the file field is required. If the field attribute null is set True then
no error comes up at all.

Would it be a good idea to change this from a 'form' error to a
different kind of error that would state that the enctype attribute is
not set for the given form?

Well, is that error possible to detect sensibly? These tiny questions aren't what you should be asking now - we really want to see a well-rounded application with a list of what you plan to tackle (it doesn't have to be precise, just state the main problem areas), and a demonstration of some possible ways you might solve it.

Attempting to pick the errors and the correct solutions now is too fragile - if it turns out those errors are hard to fix, or the potential error you want to raise isn't working for whatever reason (perhaps it interrupts the call stack of something else), you'll need to work around it.

We want to see the ability to think independently in an application - your mentor isn't there to continually answer questions for you, they're there to check up on your progress now and again and answer the occasional design decision/gnarly core Django question. The ability to work independently, make good decisions and research/justify them well is a big part of GSOC, and something we're looking for.

Andrew