Hi,

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:30:05 AM UTC+2, Tai Lee wrote:

> I just remember Adrian basically saying (and I'm paraphrasing here): "I've
> been away too long, but I'm back now and I've decided that we're moving to
> GitHub!"

I had that feeling a bit myself, but I think there have been more than
enough discussions internally (including with Adrian) and I am sure Adrian
didn't intend it to sound the way we probably understood it.

Yes, there have been threads about moving to this or that environment, but
> I don't remember a thread started by Django core letting the community know
> that a move was seriously on the cards, and giving the community a chance
> to have some formal input before a decision was made.

Given those threads with kinda heated discussions whether bitbucket is
better than github or the other way around I think it's clear that a BDFL
decision is/was needed.

Even if Django core feels that a BDFL decision will be required, I still
> think it is appropriate to raise such a change with the community and ask
> for some structured proposals, and then if necessary make a BDFL decision
> that shows which elements from which proposals have been blessed.

Well the main point was whether we want svn, git or hg -- and as someone
already said; even in the core team are tendencies for any of them. That
said, and given the fact that we can agree that none of those systems is
superior there is not much point in starting more heated discussions again.
Also don't forget that it's probably the core team which has to deal with
the chosen system the most; we as community can easily use git-svn etc...
(Yes the core team can too, but has to be aware of the pitfalls)

> There's always a possibility that the community has something to say that
> could sway the decision, even if Adrian or Jacob are 99% decided. And even
> if it doesn't change the outcome, at least there is a clear public record
> of the decision making process.

I think the timing was a bit bad, since internal discussions and public
ones (started by the community) overlapped, so there probably wasn't a
clear direction in the core team itself yet, which made it hard to present
the idea etc...

Cheers,
Florian