Hi everyone,

It's really exciting to see the community offering to help in this
endeavor. I myself spent quite a bit of time last year driving a
redesign effort for djangoproject.com, so I thought I'd share my work
with you now while the momentum is picking up again.

So, using some initial briefing and feedback from Russell, Jacob, Idan
and Christian, I had designed a new IA and then built a working
prototype:

http://www.djangoproject.dotcloud.com/
Login details: preview/ihud8t4k

I'd like to emphasize that this is a *prototype*. The visuals were
intentionally left rough and unpolished, and even the IA itself was a
work in progress. I've seen many great ideas so far in this thread, so
please feel free to rip this prototype off, or to just get some
inspiration from it, or to simply ignore it altogether.

Technically-speaking, the front end uses Sass and Compass and it
implements the responsive Less framework [1]. To see an example of the
responsive behavior, try resizing your browser window on the homepage
[2]. I had also spent a lot of time tweaking the documentation's
layout and styles to make it easy to view across screen sizes [3]. For
example, the sidebar collapses into a clickable button on small
screens. Another example is with large images as in [4]; as the window
gets smaller, the image shrinks along with the window and becomes
clickable on small screens — this is to allow mobile users to access
the full-width image without breaking the layout. However, will all
that said, it might eventually be worth considering to move the
documentation entirely to RTD one day (with some special branding).

The prototype's code is available on github [5]. I hope this is of
some help to the person or team that will be driving this project.

Kindly,

Julien

[1] http://lessframework.com/
[2] Prototype homepage: http://www.djangoproject.dotcloud.com/