On May 18, 6:08 pm, Donald Stufft <donald.stu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I personally prefer doing normal merges with --no-ff. While "clean up
> whitespace"
> commits are extraneous, they don't particularly hurt anything. If an incoming
> pull
> request is particularly messy it's easy enough to say that the pull request is
> sound in theory/implementation but that they need to rebase it to clean up
> the history.

While the white space commits aren't that serious, there are a couple
of issues which need rebasing:
  - If we aim to have well formatted commit messages, any bad commit
messages must be rewritten by changing history. Git ensures there
isn't any other way.
  - I believe merging in broken states (code doesn't compile etc) will
make bisecting much harder. I am not sure of this...
  - I don't find it particularly good idea to have 10 lines patches
come in in 5 commits when just a single one is required. If you looks
at the pull requests, you will see this is not far fetched.

 - Anssi