On Friday, May 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Anssi Kääriäinen wrote:
> On May 18, 6:08 pm, Donald Stufft <donald.stu...@gmail.com
> (http://gmail.com)> wrote:
> > I personally prefer doing normal merges with --no-ff. While "clean up
> > whitespace"
> > commits are extraneous, they don't particularly hurt anything. If an
> > incoming pull
> > request is particularly messy it's easy enough to say that the pull request
> > is
> > sound in theory/implementation but that they need to rebase it to clean up
> > the history.
> >

> While the white space commits aren't that serious, there are a couple
> of issues which need rebasing:
> - If we aim to have well formatted commit messages, any bad commit
> messages must be rewritten by changing history. Git ensures there
> isn't any other way.
> - I believe merging in broken states (code doesn't compile etc) will
> make bisecting much harder. I am not sure of this...
> - I don't find it particularly good idea to have 10 lines patches
> come in in 5 commits when just a single one is required. If you looks
> at the pull requests, you will see this is not far fetched.

I think here is where it's going to come down to judgement calls. If their is an
undue amount of extraneous commits for small patches then sure either rebasing
or squashing probably makes sense. (Or rejecting telling the author to clean up
their history).

Commits broken for reasons other then what you are bisecting for make bisect a
tad bit harder
but not terribly so, basically you'd just take a peek at the log and switch to
a nearby commit and
test that one instead.