Hi all,

New to this list but I saw this post and thought I would chime in with my
two cents. I'm not really a Django contributor (yet) but I have a fair bit
of experience using Git and Django both personally and professionally.

I can understand the hesitation for using rebase on public commits. I think
rebasing after a pull request has already been issued might not be the best
idea. However, I think contributors should generally be encouraged to
rebase rather than pull. The reason being is that if a topic branch is
closely tracking it's parent (which I assume would be a common situation)
you end up with a lot of merge commits which make the history hard to
follow.

If a change in a commit requires adapting due to upstream changes, I
personally think it's preferable for the contributor to do the work of
hiding this fact via rebase. It helps group logical changes together and
simply makes the history much easier to read. For development branches, I
don't see the fact that history is changing  to be a problem. (If someone
is basing work off a development branch, should they not expect things to
break?)

Anyway, really happy to see Django move to GitHub and looking forward to
tossing some code your way in the future. :)

Cheers,
-- Michael