29.5.2012 12:24, Anssi Kääriäinen kirjoitti:
On May 29, 10:50 am, Jani Tiainen<rede...@gmail.com>  wrote:
28.5.2012 15:35, Anssi K ri inen kirjoitti:

On May 28, 3:14 pm, Chris Northwood<cnorthw...@gmail.com>    wrote:
I believe PostGIS 2.0 isn't supported
yet:https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/16455

I added some comments to that ticket.

I am going to hijack this thread, and ask what is the status of Oracle
and spatialite support? Anybody running tests on these backends?
spatialite seems a bit hard to install, and Oracle GIS functionality
seems to be available only in the commercial versions.

Oracle has two different GIS functionalities Locator and Spatial.
Locator is available for free and is subset of Spatial functionality.

Stupid thing is that you get full Spatial installed and you just have to
know which feature belongs to what version. Top of that features
included in Locator varies between Oracle versions.

Most of the GeoDjango functionality works with Locator features - I
don't recall but I think there was a ticket about features only in
Spatial and those would be Documented.

Oracle tests are slow for some reason and personally I don't think I've
run full suite of spatial tests on it ever. (Though I just use
GeoDjango, not develop it actively)

OK. I see Locator is in XE. Does the above mean that if I run gis test
on XE and those happen to use features from Spatial, then I am in
breach of their license? If so, I will not touch Oracle GIS
functionality.

Well you can't run GeoDjango on XE. Problem is that GeoDjango uses to/from WKT utility methods/functions and those don't work without database Java engine - and that does only exists in Oracle Standard edition and upwards.

And yes, if you use features from Spatial without proper license you (at least at some point ) breach it.

But since I'm not a lawyer I'm not sure what following clause will cover: "All software downloads are free, and most come with a Developer License that allows you to use full versions of the products at no charge while developing and prototyping your applications, or for strictly self-educational purposes."

Excerpt from Developer License [1]:

"LICENSE RIGHTS
We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the programs only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your application, and not for any other purpose. If you use the application you develop under this license for any internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or you want to use the programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, you must obtain a production release version of the program by contacting us or an Oracle reseller to obtain the appropriate license. You acknowledge that we may not produce a production release version of the program and any development efforts undertaken by you are at your own risk. We may audit your use of the programs. Program documentation, if available, may accessed online at "

Maybe someone should ask from Oracle support about legal advice.

I think in the long run the requirement for any DB backend to stay in
core must be that we have a way to run tests automatically on that
backend. When working with the ORM, running tests on all backends
manually is impossible, as it takes just too much time. Especially if
you add Py3 to the mix. Currently Oracle - both gis and standard - is
missing automatic testing, and spatialite is missing too. Anybody have
the know-how to set these up? Any chance of getting another machine
with Oracle installation?

Setting automated tests shouldn't be a problem - I think problem is that
to actually to be able to test you would need real Oracle server - and
that costs money.

I am running tests on XE on my local machine. We once had XE available
in automatic testing, too, but the installation somehow corrupted and
we don't have that anymore. The experience has been that XE is
somewhat picky about its installation environment, and once something
goes wrong it is very hard to fix. As far as I know Oracle XE
installation is all we need, and is free for our use case, but we
don't have even that.

From my experience *nix installations (except RHEL/Centos distributions) of Oracle (XE) is quite painful, but Windows installations goes pretty much without a pain.

  - Anssi

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/licenses/standard-license-152015.html

--
Jani Tiainen

- Well planned is half done and a half done has been sufficient before...