On 30 kesä, 22:25, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <ja...@jacobian.org> wrote:
> Before we do get too deep into this, however, I want to talk about
> this "Django 2.0" thing:
>
> Clearly there will be something called "Django 2.0" at some point --
> after 1.9, if we get there, comes 2.0. However, I think it would be a
> mistake to make "Django 2.0" backwards-incompatible. We've seen
> countless examples -- Perl 6, Python 3, Rails 3, ... -- that these
> sorts of "breaks from the past" really alienate and frustrate the
> community. Over the years we've actually gotten really good at
> balancing forward motion with stability. Our reputation as a stable,
> reliable platform is something I'm intensely proud of.
>
> It's going to take a lot of work to convince me of the value of a
> "break from the past" sort of approach. If this can't be done in a way
> that promises a smooth upgrade path... I'm not sure it's worth doing.

I am sure doing Django 2.0 would result in a _long_ development cycle.
Off my head some candidates for 2.0:
  - Template layer
  - ORM
  - Admin

Probably a lot of things in contrib, some things in model layer, I am
sure there are a couple of issues in forms and so on.

How long till we get every part upgraded to 2.0 and get the code
polished to release quality? -1 to finding that out :)

I wonder if it would be possible to support both a new version
(new_models?) and old version side by side. After long enough
deprecation period, kick the old code out of core, maybe into a
separate repository where interested people could pick it up if they
still need it.

 - Anssi