Hi Reinout,

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012, Reinout van Rees wrote:

On 30-06-12 16:22, Luke Plant wrote:
Also, in Django to date we've eschewed external dependencies. That has
been partly due to the poor and confusing state of Python packaging,
which is hopefully improving.
[snip]
Our current recommended installation method is via pip [2], and we would
be doing our users a disservice to recommend otherwise.

Slight warning: everyone recommends pip, but watch out with windows. Pip doesn't support binary eggs (which easy_install does), so all those python database drivers will need to be compiled.

Good point, thanks.

And virtualenv/pip defaults to a nicely isolated virtualenv, so the clicky-clicky-install python database drivers (and other binary eggs) won't get used.

So: pip sounds great right until you need binaries on windows.

The virtualenv inherits system-wide packages. So you can install whatever binary packages you need system-wide, either using easy_install or an MSI, and pip won't try (and fail) to install them again unless they don't meet the version requirements of the pip manifest.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
Future Business, Cam City FC, Milton Rd, Cambridge, CB4 1UY, UK

with company number 04980791.