Alright, I've now removed my AppCache state handling and replaced it with
swappable AppCaches - surprisingly, doing this hasn't broken anything, but
it did need an AppCacheWrapper to stop references going wrong.

The commits are here:

https://github.com/andrewgodwin/django/commit/dbc17d035b255a4da977251fe399f5c80cffeecd
https://github.com/andrewgodwin/django/commit/49d1e6b0e20a363cbf9b105e8e6d3fc5fc1cad2f

The SQLite test suite all passes after these changes, so this is looking
good. Thoughts?

Andrew