On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Yo-Yo Ma <baxterstock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Developer of a pet shop software adds:
>
> feed_before_midnight = models.BooleanField()
>
> because they're planning on carrying baby gremlins... forgets to update the
> zoological XML feed importer to use the "feed_before_midnight" value, and
> the rest is history :)

We need to be clear on what we (as in, the Django project) classify as
"catastrophic data loss".

Examples of Catastrophic data loss:
 * You request a save of object X, and object X is not saved.
 * You save object X, and object Y is modified.
 * You save object X, and object Z is deleted.

NOT examples of Catastrophic data loss:
 * You forget to set a value on an object, and the default isn't what
you expected.
 * You set a value on an object, which is saved verbatim, but wasn't
the correct value under the circumstances.

In the example you provide, I agree that there would be catastrophic
consequences. However, the code is doing exactly what it's instructed
to do. While I may concede that this is a bug, it's a bug caused by
ambiguous default behaviour, not behaviour that is fundamentally
incorrect or destructive -- it's essentially nothing more than "0 is a
default value". You can argue that 0 isn't an appropriate default in
this circumstance, but you can't argue that it is (a) a particularly
surprising default, or (b) that the developer was given an opportunity
(multiple opportunities, really) to set an appropriate default.

If this conflicts with what you consider to be catastrophic, thats
fine -- I'm just letting you know the benchmark that we, as a project,
use to guide our decision making process.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)