I'm re-opening an old discussion -
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/django-developers/MbLD1BL5xkQ/discussion.
Sorry if it all comes out weird, I'm having to do it in Google Groups.

I propose maintaining a repository of the Polls tutorial code, with each
branch representing the state of the code at the end of each tutorial.

I realise that there is a danger that people might be tempted simply to
checkout the code rather than type it in, following all the useful steps
and mis-steps that the tutorial provides, but at the same time it would
have other significant advantages that it would be a shame to forego just
in order to save people from temptation, especially if they are strongly
warned against it.

The advantages:

A learner likely won't just follow the steps in the tutorial, but will also
want to play and experiment, and break things. It will make for a better
learning experience if that's possible with the safety-net of being able to
return to a known good state.

In particular, it will make it easier for the learner to reset their
tutorial code so that they can go on to the next tutorial after playing
freely with it. And sometimes, it might be weeks or months later that they
want to do part five, or go back to have a look at some particular thing in
it from an earlier stage.

It will help the documentation writers. It's difficult to build on the work
in the tutorial if it's not easy to get where it was. For example, a new
tutorial could use the Polls application to tackle logging or static files
- which is what I would like to start doing now - but it's quite a bore to
have to go through all the steps in all the previous tutorials just so you
can start writing it.

I think it would be worthwhile having an official repository for this
purpose.

Regards,

Daniele