Hi,

After looking through proposed ideas for the current GSoC i found 2 issues
related close to the code quality which I'm interested in. These are:

   1. Best practices Updates
   2. Improved error reporting

Both tasks are a different but they are very closely related just to code
quality which if very important especially in projects in size of Django
;). I will try to suggest that maybe merging them into one little bigger
task would be better idea. I'll explainin characteristics of these.

Take the second one as a first. This project will require trying to
reproduce some bugs and fix some error handling in order to allow other
developers to fix their bugs more easily. I think that trying to analyse
code, predict all scenarios and write all expected messages seems like
impossible task. It's better to fix tasks already reported by users. So
here comes the list https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/BetterErrorMessages.
Unfortunately
(or rather fortunately) I found many of the issues from "error handling"
are outdated. On the other side it would be good to review that list and
possibly fix that wrong messages but ... do you think that fixing few error
handlers is enough for 2-month project?

The first one will require to know best practices and then rewrite/update
some code to follow them. I think that this could be continuous task, and
the finish of this task if very blurred. Common sense tells me that we
should start with refactoring from "the worst" code then current worst and
keep doing until all project will be up to current best practices. When the
big project is being developed constantly there always be some code that
need refactoring.

My idea would be to fix issues from bad "error messages list" which is
definitely achievable and then start to refactoring few functionalities of
Django that very needs it. To make the second part more achievable and
precise, I should choose few particular functionalities the I'd like to
take care of. This approach will allow to fix particular bugs reported by
users. Moreover fixing simpler bugs is usually easier to start with
project. Then having bigger knowledge i could refactor some code.

Do you think that it's reachable to do that in described way?
Or maybe better stick to the idea of taking just 1 of this projects and
spend some more time on it?

If you for example know that there are much work needed with code
refactoring, maybe it would be better to take precisely this project and
leave the other. On the other side if there are more places that are
poorely handled then it could be better to take into consideration this one.

Thanks,
Damian