The recommended build tool at the moment is setuptools.

It's up to the individual project to decide if they think the install story for
setutpools pre 3.4 is appropriate for them. This'll get better in general in
the future with MSI installers for setuptools and pip

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/7AA51553-FDF5-4DD4-B083-FF13BA1451EE%40stufft.io.