I have been thinking that maybe we should delay #22340 (Legacy Table
Creation Methods Not Properly Deprecated) until 1.8 so that migrations
won't be required until Django 2.0. I'm not sure how feasible it is to
remove Django's test suite usage of it in the next week and a half, if we
are still shooting for RC1 on May 1 or shortly thereafter.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/b41c51ab-d029-4afc-90e2-d1e2c0927e67%40googlegroups.com.