hm, at first i didn't even read the release notes..
But i think we should definitly make a blocker issue in trac.
Currently re-introduce initial_data is the worst thing we could do, since
django 1.9 requires migrations and do deprecate that behavior:
> Deprecated since version 1.7: If an application uses migrations, there is
no automatic loading of fixtures. Since migrations will be required for
applications in Django 1.9, this behavior is
> considered deprecated. If you want to load initial data for an app,
consider doing it in a migration.

Currently I think that the third solution could be the best, in my case we
have like a dataset of 50 or more entries as initial data, which could
easily be mocked and/or dumped and reloaded. It won't take that much time.
And as you already said for bigger applications fixtures didn't work, too.
But I don't think it will make it in Django 1.7 and since data migrations
are unusable if you rely on testing and initial_data this wouldn't be too
good.

> At this time I haven't touched the new migrations system for django. But
now, reading the releases notes and this thread...
> I don't understand how data migrations can replace initial_data, are two
things completely different and they have completely different scope. I'm
slightly confusing.

Data Migrations are the same thing than initial_data i mean they can be
used to load a data set and drop that dataset, thats way more flexible. But
currently Django's TestSuite isn't prepared for Data Migrations. Thats
infact a problem.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/6c14d75b-6720-4c97-b697-93adb759f134%40googlegroups.com.