In my opinion, it may be too soon to make an evaluation of DEP.

Most importantly, it has to be put in context to what happened/is
happening:
- there was a security release
- there was a fix to the security release
- there is a version of Django to be released with *considerable* new
features, that naturally have release blockers to be fixed.

I believe this waiting time has nothing to do with being a DEP, a PEP, or a
simple feature request; it is just that DEP was formally announced before
the start
of the new cycle - 1.8 - to be used on it, and the current priority is to
close the current cycle, which is demanding a considerable commitment,
specially from the core devs, as some already expressed here.

It may be worth performing an evaluation of the DEP procedure;
however, my suggestion is to postpone it to after the
release of 1.8, since at that time we have a full release cycle where DEP
was used and tested. In my opinion, this will allow a more pragmatic
evaluation
that matches more closely the expectations and ideas behind the DEP.

Regards,
Jorge

On Friday, May 9, 2014 6:46:51 PM UTC+2, Trey Hunner wrote:

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/ed51f725-6d43-4da5-96e7-7e90721694e0%40googlegroups.com.