I don't think "vendor lock in" is a good enough reason to avoid it. If
GitHub were to go away, the move to a new code platform would be the
greater problem. Also, nothing will be "lost". The old usernames will still
be there, they just won't be properly linked to your github username. I
don't think that's really a major concern either.

> Finally, to be honest, I’d rather adjust Django’s tools to enthusiastic
> beginners than grumpy freedom extremists who refuse to use GitHub.

+1

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/45b5c56b-471e-4cfb-a5cd-05088e04e53f%40googlegroups.com.